• The Red Rhythm spring show is Friday and Saturday in the auditorium. Tickets are $10.

• Wingspan wins 2017 NSPA Pacemaker

Filed under News, Why it matters

Why It Matters: Foreign Policy and Terrorism

On Tuesday, November 8th, on of the two presidential candidates will win not only the presidency, but also become the commander-in-chief of our military. While they share the same goals, both candidates have a very different plan for our foreign policy and for combatting terrorism.

When it comes to foreign policy, Donald Trump has criticized Hillary Clinton’s readiness to combat Russia’s involvement in the Syrian Civil War, where almost half a million people have died since the war started several years ago.

While the geopolitical details regarding conflicts in the Middle East are complex, the general consensus is that Hillary Clinton’s plan includes the continued use of airstrikes and training the Iraqi military, while Donald Trump has advocated major increases in the military budget in order to use this strength to deter increased conflict. He has shown sympathy for Russia’s involvement in Syria and has repeatedly criticized US generals, saying he knows more about ISIS than them.

Domestic terrorism is another issue that the next president will have to deal with.

On Friday, September 17th, a bomb exploded in the Chelsea neighborhood in New York City. Later that night, another bomb was found in nearby New Jersey. In Minnesota, a stabbing incident also occurred that same night.

While terrorism is incredibly rare, it has been a hot election topic since the September 11th attacks.

Hillary Clinton’s plan includes taking out ISIS to prevent organized terrorism, working with our allies, launching an intelligence surge to better understand where and when attacks are planned.

Donald Trump has advocated less involvement in foreign conflicts in order to lower domestic terrorist attacks. He also proposed a highly controversial and criticized plan of temporarily banning Muslim people from immigrating to the United States, which he has later amended to include only banning Muslims from countries that currently have high levels of terrorism.

Secretary Clinton has said that this plan is “trafficking in prejudice and paranoia”, while Trump says his plan is necessary.

Election Day is on Tuesday, November 8th and the results will be determined that night.