Opinion: put the daily back in the Update

With the start of the 2016-17 school year,  the only place to find the WTV Daily Update every day is on libertywingspan.com. However, guest columnist Cole Engelbrecht writes that teachers should be expected to revert to how things were done last year and show it every day at the end of 2nd period.

With the start of the 2016-17 school year, the only place to find the WTV Daily Update every day is on libertywingspan.com. However, guest columnist Cole Engelbrecht writes that teachers should be expected to revert to how things were done last year and show it every day at the end of 2nd period.

Every student deserves to know about important things that are circulating around school, and whether that’s by speaker announcements, or by a broadcast, it’s something that seems essential.

While many schools do deliver their announcements over an audio message that runs through the whole school over a speaker, some schools get the even better privilege of being able to broadcast a video. Broadcasting gives many students a chance to not only participate in creating and recording the video, but it also is a cool experience that students get to enjoy as they hear and learn about news around the school.  

Last year, The WTV Daily Update was introduced throughout the entire school, which seemed to be a liftoff for future successes and a great source of information for the students and staff. The WTV Daily Update catches students up with the latest and most important news and announcements, while it also provides some entertainment. From interviewing students and staff on a broad range of topics, to sports highlights, to reviews of local restaurants to sneak peeks of what’s to come in the future for Frisco, it’s a valuable source of information.

It was shown every day in the last 5-10 minutes of second period and became a norm throughout the year as it continued to be updated and have the best information.

However, this new year has brought us changes that seem to be unreasonable. Even though the Daily Update is still posted every day online, teachers are only expected to watch one time a week on Fridays. This is not the way it should be. Not only do many teachers fail to show it on Fridays, but students and teachers are prevented from seeing and hearing important information about their school and community.

The school should go back to how things were last year. Having teachers show the WTV Daily Update was a crucial way for students to know things happening around the school and its surrounding area. Now, all there is daily is the pledges and no announcements are made over anything school related. This makes it harder for students to find out what’s happening or just happened, when meetings are, when athletic games are, or other relevant announcements there are to share.

Apparently the decision to only require teachers to show the WTV Daily Update on Fridays was made to minimize lost teaching time. However, this year second period is five minutes longer than last year. With that being said, there is no reason to get rid of the daily updates because it wouldn’t be taking much time at all out of the school day that now is even longer than the past.

Now that we are forced to find this information by ourselves on our own time. This is unfair for everyone that needs the information but also because it’s a good product, named the Southwest Region’s Best Daily Taped Show by Student Television Network, the crew members work very hard to make these videos and they honestly deserve the maximum attention and thanks for the work they do to show us all what we need to know.

As of now, we are left with limited exposure to a very high quality award winning school broadcast, which simply doesn’t make sense, and it very shameful for all involved. It would be nice for it to be shown every day like it used to.