The app that can make or break friendships

Snapchat streaks and their impact on teen relationships

Like many teens on campus, senior Shae Evans uses Snapchat on a regular basis and even had a friendship affected by a broken streak.

Snapchat has become the most commonly used social media for teens. One extremely popular feature of the app is streaks which is when two people send a snap to each other for consecutive days.

“They [streaks] are very important because they represent my friendship with other people,” sophomore Sani Ali said. “I feel like it is an art. Snapchat filters are used as art, I know lots of people who spend lots of time making their streaks look really cool and I also know people who just send a black screen.”

Using a filter, senior Cydney Dumler plays on Snapchat during a study hall class. Dumler estimated she spends approximately 20 minutes a day using the app.

While Snapchat is a communication tool, streaks can be sometimes become the focus of the communication.

“One day I did try to break all my streaks but then I got the hourglass and people said I would be dead to them,” senior Cydney Dumler said. “People think you are breaking up with them if you break a streak. I have one of 460 that I really want to break but it’s too high to break. It’s so stressful, but I hang out with most of the people I have streaks with outside of school.”

For many teenagers Snapchat can be a way of classifying the level of a friendship, but some students on campus question this thought process.

“Sometimes you send a streak but do you really mean it,” sophomore Fiza Bashir said. “You send a good night streak and a good morning streak but one never puts any thought into it. That’s why I wanted to break all of my streaks because what is the point in just saying goodnight and good morning.”

For most students, some friendships are more like “snapships” with a streak being the sole form of contact. But sometimes real friendships can be affected by a streak ending.

I worry about my streaks every day and every night,

— sophomore Sani Ali

“I didn’t talk to one friend for almost a month because he broke our streak on 99 three times,” senior Shae Evans said. “The first time I was really angry and I wouldn’t sit next to him. I think the second time was on accident but the third I just didn’t want anything to do with him.”

Most Snapchat users also stress out if they happen to accidentally break a streak and feel as if they have broken their friendship as well and usually blame the other person which can lead to minor arguments over not so important problems.

“Whenever I lose a streak I always feel like it is the other person’s fault,” Ali said. “I worry about my streaks every day and every night.”