Sincerely Sydney: never too early to look ahead

In her weekly column, staff reporter Sydney Gish offers her perspective on various issues.

SinWhile juniors and seniors are preparing for college, freshman and sophomores still have a ways to go, however it is never to early to start thinking about your future. Senior year will come sooner than expected and planning earlier will help make the process easier.

College admission departments look at a student’s entire transcript, from freshman to to senior year. Although lowerclassmen don’t have to commit to anything yet, it is important to begin exploring post-high school options.

The first two years of high school are seen as a time to discover your interests and explore new opportunities. Even though it is too early to send out college applications, joining extracurricular activities and participating in community service activities will make a student more desirable for many colleges. Many colleges also prefer students enrolled in advanced classes, so taking Pre-AP classes can help assess whether or not you would want to take those advanced ones in junior and senior year.

One common mistake lowerclassmen make is believing they can slack off and just do better in their later years of high school. If you slack off in your first or second year it can be really hard to catch up. In addition, it is important to practice good study habits and maintain your grades since they all count toward your overall GPA.

It doesn’t hurt to take the PSAT test either. Although the scores do not count toward college admissions, it qualifies students’ for National Merit Scholarships and will help prepare you for the actual SAT. The PSAT results can serve as a guideline for how much preparation you will need for the SAT.

Freshman and sophomores do not have to panic about college just yet, but it is important to have it on your mind. Many decisions made in the first two years can affect your high school transcript, so be sure to get involved and stay focused.

Sincerely,

Sydney