Board approves new attendance zones

It was a wide-ranging agenda with attendance rezoning, the state’s new school rating system and the next step in the process of becoming a District of Innovation all discussed.

For the parents in attendance one of the most interesting items was the Frisco ISD Board of Trustees finalizing attendance zones for the 2017-18 school year. Approximately 300 students throughout the district will be rezoned with a few areas along Main Street rezoned to Liberty which will result in 31 incoming freshmen going to school here rather rather than Independence.

The neighborhoods to be impacted are: Liberty Crossing, Cooper Living Center, Estates at Craig Ranch West, Fairways at Craig Ranch, Hemmingway at Craig Ranch, Stacy Crossing, Residences at Grand Lodge, Settlement at Craig Ranch, Times Square at Craig Ranch and Wellstone at Craig Ranch, Southern Hills at Craig Ranch and Stacy Crossing Townhomes and Apartments.

From there, the Board also took the next step in becoming a District of Innovation which would all the school district more flexibility in certain things such as the school start date. A vote on whether or not Frisco ISD will intend to become a District of Innovation will take place at the February 13th board meeting.

One of the other hot topics expected to be discussed was the state’s new accountability system that assigns students A through F grades. However, the Board made the decision to table talk of a resolution to allow more time for discussion.

FISD screenshot
The 2016-17 high school attendance zone.

FISD screenshot
The 2017-18 high school attendance zones.