New policy for lunch deliveries

A new lunch policy goes into effect Tuesday to prevent stolen and unclaimed food in the office.

Wade Glover

A new policy goes into effect Tuesday for parents dropping off lunches in the front office for students. Instead of parents leaving lunches at the office table for students to pick up when convenient, students must pick up the lunch directly from their parents.

We have kids coming up and picking up food that is not theirs,

— Associate Principal Ashley Rainwater

“We have parents dropping off food, we have kids coming up and picking up food that is not theirs,” Associate Principal Ashley Rainwater said. “We have parents dropping off food, and kids never coming and picking it up so the food is sitting there for several hours and Mrs. Bright has to come and throw it away.”

The typical school day features anything from Whataburger to Little Caesars with the multitude of meals emitting what can be a strong aroma for school receptionist Angie Bright.

“The smells are overwhelming sitting here all day, and we also have students who don’t come to pick up their lunch,” Bright said. “We have parents coming into the office and that is the first thing you smell, and that’s not very pleasant.”

What do you think of the new lunch drop off policy?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Beyond that, there’s been an issue with students picking up meals that were not theirs, causing grief for the parents dropping off the meal and the student expecting to see it in the front office.

“Of course the parent is upset because they dropped it off and of course the student is upset, and we are just not responsible for anything on the table,” Bright said. “With that new policy, it will help that the parent is giving it directly to the student.”

Students who frequently pick up food from the office feel as if it encourages worse consequences than unclaimed food.

“There are bigger issues on campus than this,

— junior Ifrah Basheer

“I don’t like the new policy because I think food being dropped off to the office doesn’t negatively affect students,” junior Ifrah Basheer said. “Personally I enjoy having fast food delivered because it’s a nice thing my parents do for me to make my day. It’s frustrating because I feel like there are bigger issues on campus than this, and this encourages more issues like students going to off-campus lunch because their parents may not be able to drop lunch off in the office all the time.”