An aerobic alternative

Aerobics is a P.E. credit class that can teach students how to live a healthier lifestyle.

Aliza Porter, Staff Reporter

Volleyball, wrestling, dance, football and basketball are just some of the ways Frisco ISD students can get their P.E. credit. But there’s another class on campus that allows students to get this credit, while also trying to teach skills that can help students live a healthy lifestyle.

“Aerobic fitness is a class, mostly girls, so we kind of gear it towards more of what girls want to do,” campus athletic department head U’ilani Womble said. “What we focus on doing is learning how to create a work out that we want to do.”

Cardiovascular disease remains the number one cause of death in America, but aerobic fitness can help to decrease that chance.

“We do yoga, we do pilates, we do some dance, we do walking, jogging,” Womble said. “Things you can do without much equipment and that you can do outside of school too. Just to kind of give everyone an idea of what they can do to keep themselves fit and create a life style of exercising.”

Exercise can decrease a woman’s risk for breast cancer with studies showing that women who engage in exercise at least three times a week have a lessened chance of developing breast cancer.

“I like actually working out and lifting weights and how everything is planned and organized,” sophomore Croix Wallace said. “It helps me work out even when I don’t on my own and keep me in shape.”

With many of the school’s students having busy schedules, the class allows students to get exercise in the middle of the school day.

“I find it very beneficial that I can actually work out during the day because when I get home I do not have time at all,” Wallace said. “I have actually lost weight this year and I’ve gotten more toned.”