Say it Louder: planning our future

Opinion editor Emma Crampton shares her thoughts on various topics in her weekly column.

This week, counselors are coming into classes to allow students to plan their schedules for next year and all the years following for their entire high school career. With it only being January and the very start of the second semester, I think it is a bit too soon to be thinking about the following years. Students are already dealing with a lot with the new semester starting, so I believe we should start getting active in thoughts for future classes closer to spring.

As an underclassman, it’s a lot of pressure to be thinking about what classes to take as a senior. It’s understandable that the reality is that it is coming closer than we realize, trying to plan two years ahead while still trying to figure out what exactly we’re doing at the moment is quite stressful. I think spring time would be a more reasonable time to start considering your schedule since it’s closer to the end of the school year.

There are some people who like to think about what their life will be like 20 years from now, and there are others who don’t even like to think about what they will be doing in the next hour. Whether you’re a planner or a live in the moment type of person, your future is important and you should not feel rushed or pressured while signing up for classes. It’s vital for us to know exactly what we’re doing before we commit to anything.

While it can be overwhelming, we also should keep in mind that we have a while to go back and change things. What you put down for classes next year is not permanent until around April. Just make sure that you’re considering what you put on your schedule in regards of your future.