Snapchat on a new level

Snapchat has taken itself to a new level with Spectacles, a way for users to view stories through the eyes of the person sending the snap.

Hallie Hunter

Melody Tavallaee, Guest Contributor

Snapchat has been increasing in popularity with many students using the social media app to to share what they are doing at all times with their friends. However, a new device, Spectacles by Snap Inc. takes that to a further level as people get to view stories through the eyes of the person sending the snap.

“My favorite part about the glasses is that with the glasses it’s more of your point of view, rather than just videoing,” senior Hallie Hunter said. “You get to see what that person sees from a personal view, rather than just a video.”

The glasses sell for $130 at vending machines called Snapbots which pop up in various locations at random and remain there for only 48 hours, making the process of purchasing them difficult.

“It’s very rare to get them,” Hunter said. “It’s really difficult, my parents actually had to fly to New York and go to the Snapchat shop which I think is now closed, they haven’t come to Dallas yet.”

Despite the hassle it takes to get their hands on these spectacles, many believe that the struggle has its benefits because it is enhancing the quality of Snapchat Stories.

“If you have the money, and are lucky enough to live near one of the pop-up vending machines, know that Spectacles are a total blast to use,” reporter Sean O’Kane said in a review for The Verge. “They require so little extra thought and planning — just keep them on and tap the button on the left any time you want to record a video.”

The glasses are simple to use, making them convenient for daily use.

“All you have to do is push the button on the side and you’re recording whatever is in front of you,” Jamie Pham said in a review for Paste Magazine. “It is very easy to use and is definitely way faster than pulling your phone out, launching the app, and holding down the button to record.”

Having had a pair for weeks, Hunter will not be surprised if Spectacles become a trend.

“I think they would catch on especially since Snapchat is becoming really popular,” Hunter said. “If they start advertising it on Snapchat I think it will skyrocket.”