Sincerely Sydney: Respect your teachers

In her weekly column, staff reporter Sydney Gish offers her perspective on various issues.

Sydney Gish

Sydney Gish, Staff Reporter

Growing up I was always told to respect my elders or people who are higher in authority than me. It is apparent though, that some students have never heard this before as I have noticed an increasing amount of disrespect towards teachers.

Teachers are here to teach and make sure the students understand what they are learning. They are not here to be our friend or make things easier for us. Some even try to make the class more interesting, only to be returned with sneers and ridicule.

Many of us want to be treated like adults, but that does not mean we are allowed to disrespect anyone, especially teachers. Refusing to comply when a teacher asks or replying with a snappy comeback does not make anyone “cooler,” it shows immaturity.

Not only is it inconsiderate to interrupt or talk back to teachers, but it takes away from the students who are trying to learn. When students are talking during a lecture or interrupting, it makes it harder for the people who want to learn the information.

Phones are a big issue in this matter. During a lesson, students often have their earbuds in or are snapchatting their friends in multiple classes. Having phones in the classroom is a privilege, not a right. Most teachers are willing to let us have them out once we have completed the work we were assigned, so there is no reason to have them out while they are trying to teach.

While most of my classmates are well-mannered, there are a few that are not. Those few take away from their peers as well as display unjust disdain towards someone trying to further their education.

Sincerely,

Sydney