Sincerely Sydney: learning over school

In her weekly column, staff reporter Sydney Gish offers her perspective on various issues.

“Why do you hate school so much if you love learning?”

This is a question I commonly get and the answer is simple. Learning and school are two completely different things.

Learning at school used to be exciting and riveting, but now it seems like it’s about how well you can remember the information they give you. The current education system is focused on achievement rather than engaging in the content, which is why many students don’t like coming to school. More people become focused on the grade and how they can pass a class instead of furthering their understanding of the subject.

45 percent of teens are stressed by school pressures, as it is a place where we are defined by GPA and rank and judged by our peers about what we wear or how much money our family has. In addition, things like timed tests are based on which students can retain the most information which is not what learning is about.

For me, learning is something that is enjoyable and gives me the opportunity to immerse myself in new cultures, discover and explore new places, and figuring out for myself how the world works. Traveling and hearing stories of other people’s lives is how I gain a lot of my knowledge. I’ve learned something new after every mistake I’ve made and every time I have failed. It has been experiences I have learned from, rather than the lessons I have been taught in a classroom.

Of course we need education, however school seems to focus primarily on a prescribed curriculum and the pressure of excelling, which can take everything a student loved about learning and completely warp their perspective of it.

Though standardized tests and class rank aren’t going away anytime soon, students shouldn’t feel like those numbers define who they are. It’s great to want to get good grades, but every now and then it can be good to take a break and try a new hobby or focus more on what you’re passionate about, as learning is an ongoing process.

Sincerely,
Sydney