UIL teams to continue preparation

The UIL team is coached by teachers that correspond to the subject area. Coaches lead meetings for the teams and help students prepare for the competitions.

Sarah Philips

Lucas Barr, Staff Reporter

Dozens of students will head to Prosper High School early Saturday to take part in an UIL Invitational Meet with students competing in a variety of subjects ranging from literary criticism, to math, journalism, current events and more.

“I participate in ready writing, I personally love any kind of writing, it’s calming and [it] can express your opinion,” freshman Minuki Medis said. “To prepare, I’m looking at current news, and the guidelines and rubric be cause other than that, it’s your basic knowledge you have to pull from.”

Saturday’s event is a chance for students to get extra practice or qualify for a district spot in before the District 13-5A meet on March 24.

“I want to take a good learning and practice experience and all in all a good time,” Medis said. “I’ll tell others to go for it because it won’t hurt, and it will good for exposure.”

For the coaches, Saturday’s meet is a chance to spend time with colleagues that school day usually doesn’t provide.

“I like to interact with the other UIL coaches,” English and Humanities teacher Sarah Baker said. “We teachers tend to be sequestered away with our department stuff, so it’s been great to get to know the coaches from other subject areas, and also to see the camaraderie between students.”