Soccer teams get PK wins, basketball takes down the Titans

Talking to his bench during a recent game at the Ford Center, boys head coach Fred Kaiser said his team was lucky to get two points against Reedy.
We were fortunate enough to walk out of the game with the win after PK’s,” Kaiser said.

Eilidh McGarva

Talking to his bench during a recent game at the Ford Center, boys’ head coach Fred Kaiser said his team was lucky to get two points against Reedy. “We were fortunate enough to walk out of the game with the win after PK’s,” Kaiser said.

Wade Glover, Staff Reporter

Winning was the theme Tuesday night as both soccer teams and boys’ basketball scored wins.  

Boys’ basketball

For the boys’ basketball team it was the final game of the regular season in District 13-5A play with a 60-45 win over Centennial earning the team locked third place in the final standings.

Junior Jadyn Bennett led the team with 22 points.

“The team played well,” assistant coach Ben Manning said. “Centennial plays a funky defense, but we were able to get some shots and move the ball around well, and I thought the kids played hard. Last night was the last regular season game, we finished 3rd in district. We play Prosper in our Bi-District playoff game next Tuesday.”

The team can expect much harder competition when the playoffs start Tuesday.  

“The intensity comes up a lot. It’s obviously one and done, if you lose you go home,” Manning said. “Every team is desperate, every team is fighting to go to the next round, and everybody is good. You don’t get anyone who doesn’t have a winning record, or wasn’t in the top four in their district so you’re playing good teams, and you’re playing desperate teams who don’t want to go home.”

Girls’ soccer

Needing all the wins and points they can get, the girls’ soccer team took on Reedy Tuesday night. Trailing 1-0, the Redhawks were able to pull even. With the game tied 1-1 at the end of regulation, the girls’ won 4-2 on penalty kicks.  

“We were relieved because we had pulled through,” senior Emily Starrett said. “We had been losing a lot of our penalty kick shootouts and we had finally won one.”

Boys’ soccer

The boys’ team also went to penalty kicks against Reedy after regulation play ended 1-1 with sophomore Coleman Hatfield scoring the Redhawks only goal.

“I think the game went good, we kind of struggled to put the game away,” Hatfield said. “I think we learned we need to keep the ball down and avoid kicking it in the air as much.”