Weekend sports recap

Mady Daddario and Maddie Owens

Keegan Williams, Sports Editor

From the pool to the pitch, it was a busy weekend for the school’s athletic program. Here’s a quick recap of the action.

Swimming

The swim team competed in the state meet on Friday and Saturday in Austin with the boys’ team finishing in 14th place. Pacing the team was senior Nikita Naumov, who finished 7th in the 100 fly and sophomore Jack Easton who finished 7th in the 100 back.

In addition to the top eight finishes of Naumov and Easton, several school records were broken, including one in the boys’ 400 relay.

“It was exciting and we were able to break the school record which was even better,” sophomore swimmer Austin Urbine said. “We put in a lot of hard work in club and high school practice to make it happen.”

Wrestling

While the swim team wrapped up its season at state, 14 Redhawk wrestlers were trying to earn a spot in the state tournament by placing in the top four at the 5A-Region II meet at Wakeland High School Friday and Saturday.

The boys’ team advanced four wrestlers to Friday and Saturday’s state tournament with Broderick Green, Jonathan Green, Jordan Robison and Blaine Rowe earning the chance to compete for a state championship.

The girls’ team took home the regional championship and advanced five girls to the state: Chrystal Raine, Martha Moore, Logan Mize, Miranda Tyler and Kyra Austin.

“I am proud of the fact that we qualified a sophomore (Chrystal Raine) that has only been wrestling for two years,” senior regional champion Kyra Austin said. “We all faced the coaching change and we’re still able to pull it through and compete the way we know how to compete.”

Boys’ soccer

Striving to keep within striking distance of Wakeland in District 13-5A, the boys’ soccer team traveled to Heritage Friday night with sophomore Coleman Hatfield netting two goals to help give the Redhawks a 2-1 win and remain two points behind Wakeland in the standings.

“My initial reaction was that I was happy of course,” Hatfield said. “But I knew that we had to stay strong and keep playing and stay motivated. It motivates me to do better and to score more and I set that bar to be better.”

Girls’ basketball

The girls’ basketball team played North Forney on Friday at Naaman Forest in the second round of 5A playoffs. The team jumped out to an early lead and stayed in front for the entire game winning 60-36 score.

Players including Rebecca Lescay, Jordan Hamilton, and Ajine Taylor led the offense through the game with 14, 13, and 12 points respectively.

Track

The track team began it’s season with the Carrollton Trojan Relays on Saturday with many athletes finishing in the top three and many first place wins, including the boys’ varsity 4×400 relay.

“This year we’ve been taking stuff a lot more serious and we’ve been working a lot harder,” senior Daniel Lescay said. “We practice in the mornings four times a week now which is a big difference from last year, so eventually I think we should make is to state.”

Among the top varsity finishers Saturday:

100 meters  

2. Daniel Lescay

200 meters

1. Isaiah Palmer

2. Amari Hackett

1600 meters

8. Josh Akin

3000 meters

6. Josh Akin

300 meter hurdles

9. Nathan Kabongo

4×100 meter relay

2nd place

4×200 meter relay

7th place

4×400 meter relay

1. Daniel Lescay, Christian Palmer, Jordan Jones, Isaiah Palmer

Shot Put – 12lb

8. Grant Buss

Discus – 1.6kg

2. Grant Buss

High jump

5. Jordan Jones

Long jump

7. Isaiah Palmer

8. Joshua Sykes

Triple jump

1. Daniel Lescay

6. Nathan Kabongo