From classroom to dressing room

Dance contest will make use of most of the school

Classrooms throughout campus will be converted into make-shift dressing rooms for the dozens of dance teams that will be taking part in the M.A. Dance Contest on Saturday.

Aliza Porter

Brooke Colombo, News Editor

Red Rhythm is taking over the school Saturday to host its annual M.A. Dance Contest in which drill teams and dance companies from all over the state come to compete for the chance to advance to the national competition March 24-25 in Fort Worth.  

Organized by team members, directors, parents, and MA representatives, the contest benefits Red Rhythm.

“It’s our biggest fundraiser of the year,” director Nicole Nothe said. “It provides the scholarships for when seniors graduate, all our contest costumes, and our spring show lighting.”

The team and its boosters will spend hours after school Friday setting up for the contest with a majority of the school’s rooms being utilized in some way.

“The whole school transforms,” Red Rhythm captain Olivia Diel said. “Classrooms become dressing rooms, libraries become warm up spaces, and gyms become performance areas.”

The contest makes for a busy weekend, but has benefits beyond the dance arena.

“It’s pretty exhausting,” junior Kendall Garms said. “You get like 20 hours of Frisco ISD service hours, though, so it’s a lot of work, but it’s worth it.”

Below is a list of the rooms being used for Saturday’s M.A. Dance Contest: