• The Red Rhythm spring show is Friday and Saturday in the auditorium. Tickets are $10.

• Wingspan wins 2017 NSPA Pacemaker

Spring ball not spring break

District 13-5A play begins Tuesday for the baseball team with spring break being anything but that as the team played six games while most students were away from school and school related activities.

Stone Swad

Keegan Williams, Sports Editor

The first full week of March meant a break from school for most students but baseball didn’t get to take the week off. Playing a total of six games during spring break, the team was able to get some in game practice before the District 13-5A season begins on Tuesday against Wakeland.

“Kids get lots of at bats,” head baseball coach Scott McGarrh said. “The good thing is that we saw kids who threw hard, and kids who threw soft so it’s just preparing us for what we’re going to see against Wakeland.”

The team played 16 pre-district games, ending with a record of 6-10.

“It gets us mentally focused for the season,” junior John Fish said. “Having those practice games helps us in the long run.”

Last season, the team finished third in district play, didn’t make it past the first round of playoffs. This year, the goal is to make an even deeper run.

“We’re pretty young this year,” McGarrh said. “We had a lot of kids graduate last year so it’s just about being consistent and our senior leadership just there to help teach and mentor these kids and show them what it takes to get to the third or fourth round of playoffs.”

The team has high expectations for the season and hopes to be successful.

“We need to work on team focus and our motivation to win games,” Fish said. “We expect to win a lot of games and go further this season.”