• No school Monday (April 24) for students as it is a Professional Development Day for staff

• Wingspan wins 2017 NSPA Pacemaker

Filed under News

2017-18 school days will have an extra period

New activity period will not extend the school day

The school will implement a 30 minute activity period from 12:00-12:30 p.m. for the 2017-18 school year.

Emma Crampton

A 30 minute activity period is being implemented on campus starting in the 2017-2018 school year which will give students the chance to attend tutorials, club meetings, or simply have some time to relax.

For FISD schools that have an activity period, students are given several options of where to go: tutorials, the gym, the cafeteria or the library where students would be able to do their own thing.

“We are in the process right now, the Building Leadership team, of looking at that activity period and what we want it to be,” Principal Scott Warstler said. “There will be opportunities for those who are caught up on work, don’t need tutorials, grades are going well, behavior is good to have flex space where they may be able to sit in the hall and just chill and visit with friends for thirty minutes.”

How will you use the 30 minute activity period that will be added next year?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

This free time is expected to take place after second period from 12:00-12:30 p.m. everyday and can be used in many ways for students depending on what their needs are.

“I would probably be in the library studying or in the cafeteria working on homework with friends,” sophomore Lisa Punnen said. “I’d probably have more time to study and do homework because usually if I put off homework for fourth period I’ll just try to cram it in at lunch but now I might have more time.”

Many campuses districtwide have already implemented the activity period in their schedules and have seen the many advantages that come with it.

Henry Youtt
Step Team is a club on campus that performs at pep rallies and basketball games. Next year the club may have the option of meeting during the activity period rather than after school.

“My son goes to Clark Middle School, and they have that built into their day now, which is new as well,” history teacher Jeff Crowe said. “It’s called Cougar Den. It’s like a thirty minute time of the day where he can go in and get help, or individual tutoring or just basically get caught up on his homework. And he’ll come home with a lot of his work done already.”

Administrators are confident that the introduction of this new activity period will bring many benefits and improve the campus as a whole.

“I know you as students hear the positives from the activity period,” Warstler said. “So while it will benefit those who need some additional assistance academically, it will also be an opportunity for a lot of our students to have a brain break in the middle of the day and just be able to relax and sit and visit with friends for a little bit.”