District and local religious leaders to meet

Frisco ISD officials and  representatives from area churches, temples, mosques and synagogues will be come together for the Faith-Based Leaders Breakfast
Thursday from 9-10:30 a.m. in the Frisco ISD Administration building on Ohio Drive.

Maddie Owens

Frisco ISD officials and representatives from area churches, temples, mosques and synagogues will be come together for the Faith-Based Leaders Breakfast Thursday from 9-10:30 a.m. in the Frisco ISD Administration building on Ohio Drive.

Michael Capps, Guest Contributor

Frisco ISD is hosting representatives from area churches, temples, mosques, and synagogues for a breakfast with administrators Thursday morning from 9-10:30 a.m in Frisco ISD Administration Training Rooms.

The breakfast is designed to create contacts and connections and to learn more about the multiple faiths and cultures in the community.

“The initial goal was to establish contact with various religious leaders to improve communication between district and clergy,” Frisco ISD Assistant Director Meghan Cone said via email reply. “(In 2015) Frisco ISD facilitated bringing faith leaders together to get to know district leaders and each other. The event was also held in 2016 (and 2015). Discussion topics at the first two events included homework, time management to allow for religious events and activities, awareness of different cultures, ways to handle bullying and insensitivity, among other topics.”

Approximately 100 people RSVP’d for the breakfast including clergy members from different faiths as well as lay leaders working closely with youth or diversity issues as well as Frisco Police Department representatives.

“Frisco ISD is committed to knowing every student by name and need,” Cone said via email. “We recognize that many different beliefs are represented in our district, and culture, faith and languages differences may impact how a student learns. Relationships and understanding are key to our success.”