Book drive benefits Children’s Hospital

Boxes have been placed in the rotunda for UNICEFs book drive to benefit Childrens Medical Center Plano. Book donations will be accepted until March 24.

Aliza Porter

Boxes have been placed in the rotunda for UNICEF’s book drive to benefit Children’s Medical Center Plano. Book donations will be accepted until March 24.

Aliza Porter, Staff Reporter

The UNICEF book drive is now underway and continues until March 24 with gently used and new books dropped off in the rotunda for donation to the Children’s Medical Center Plano.

“We thought up the UNICEF book drive as a fundraiser to give kids at Liberty the chance to help the local community in a way that would stick with them,” sophomore Caitlin Montgomery said. “We hope that as books pile up to be donated it inspires people to be more productive about helping others.”

While the drive will likely have an impact on those receiving the books, it can also impact those doing the giving.

“We at the UNICEF chose a book drive because we believe books have a more personal aspect then, say, cans of food,” Montgomery said. “When students are picking out books to donate, they can choose stories that they loved and we feel as though a beloved story will be much more impactful to those at the Plano Children’s hospital.”

Organizers of the drive hope the books will provide comfort to patients during their hospitalization.

“By donating books to the Children’s Medical Center, we can easily uplift the lives of the children because they’ll know that they have a ton of people supporting them,” sophomore Elana Breslav said. “Such a simple action can easily bring positivity into a child’s life and help them get through the hardships they are facing at such an early stage in life.”

Breslav hopes donors will appreciate the significance of giving.

“What I find most impactful about the book drive is that we get to show Liberty students just how easy it is to positively impact someone’s life,” Breslav said. “Just by donating a used book, they get to put a smile on a child’s face, and I think there’s nothing more rewarding than that.”