• No school Monday (April 24) for students as it is a Professional Development Day for staff

• Wingspan wins 2017 NSPA Pacemaker

School hosting Dual Credit Night Thursday

Frisco ISD is expanding its Dual Credit options with students and parents invited to attend an informational meeting Thursday from 6:30-7:30 p.m.

Eilidh McGarva

Megan Lin, Editor-in-chief

There is Dual Credit Night Thursday evening from 6:30-7:30 p.m. for students interested in earning college credit while in high school. Those who intend to take Dual Credit classes for the 2017-2018 school year are required to attend.

Collin College’s dual credit program offers amazing benefits to Frisco ISD families,” Collin College Executive Vice President Dr. Brenda Kihl said in an article on the FISD website. “Completing college classes in high school pays huge dividends through both cost and time savings, which can translate to lower college debt and greater college success.”

The district is expanding dual credit options through Collin College to offer students more resources with the class of 2021 (current 8th graders) being able to earn an associate degree.

“We know no two students are the same – their needs and interests are different,” deputy superintendent for curriculum and instruction Katie Kordel said in an article on the FISD website. “This partnership allows FISD to give students and families more options. Students are able to access college facilities and gain experience to help them make a seamless transition to the next level.”

The dual credit partnership with Collin College can present a financial savings for local families as students who transfer to a university can save an average of $17,000.  

“We’re so excited to see this become a reality for our students,” Brenda Berry FISD director of guidance and counseling said in an article on the FISD website. “Students can save thousands of dollars in tuition by taking advantage of this opportunity to earn college credit while they’re still in high school.”