District’s demographics changing

The real estate market in Frisco has led to fewer families with young children moving into the school district superintendent Dr. Jeremy Lyon said Wednesday evening at a joint meeting between district leaders and the city of Frisco. This has led to a change in the school districts demographics.

Minuki Medis

The real estate market in Frisco has led to fewer families with young children moving into the school district superintendent Dr. Jeremy Lyon said Wednesday evening at a joint meeting between district leaders and the city of Frisco. This has led to a change in the school district’s demographics.

Wade Glover, Staff Reporter

For the last two decades, the largest class in Frisco ISD has always the kindergarten class. But in Wednesday’s joint meeting between district leaders and the city of Frisco, superintendent Dr. Jeremy Lyon said the demographics have changed the last two years.

“It use to be that our kindergarten incoming class was the biggest, and the smallest was the senior class, and it was linear,” Lyon said in an article on Community Impact. “Well this year, the eighth grade class is the largest class, and it’s more of a bell shape curve where the kindergarten and senior classes are about the same size.”

The district had expected to grow by 3,500 students this year, but in reality, the number was lower.

“We hit the mark for middle school students [and] we hit the mark for high school students [but] where we missed by 1,000 students was elementary school students,” Lyon said in an article on Community Impact. “That’s a radical, new data set for Frisco ISD. That has not been the profile of growth of this district over the last 20 years.”

Next year, predictions for district growth show high schools gaining 1,100 students and elementary and middle schools gaining only 600.

“You can hypothesize as to why that flip has occurred and the most consistent one we hear, and we get a lot of nods from realtors, is that Frisco is no longer a place where young families with elementary age kids can afford such a thing as a starter home,” Lyon said in an article on Community Impact. “There is no starter home in Frisco anymore.”