UIL teams take on district

UIL teams will be competing in districts on Friday and Saturday.

Lucas Barr, Staff Reporter

UIL 13-5A academic teams compete in the district meet in classrooms throughout campus on Friday and Saturday. Journalism, computer science and debate take place after school Friday and the remainder of the events take place Saturday.

“Every year I hope we do as best we can, but here at Liberty we have a tradition of academic excellence, and we won more district championships than we have lost,” UIL coordinator Jeffrey Schrantz said. “I do hope that we compete for, and have a shot at winning the district championship.”

Students will compete in more than a dozen categories with the top individuals and teams advancing to the 5A Region II meet April 7-8 at Prosper High School.

“I am doing the headline portion of the competition, where I read an excerpt of a story, and then create a catchy and informative headline about the passage I was given,” sophomore competitor Hallie Winterbauer said. “I do hope that we take district by storm, or at least place in several different areas, and overall get more experience.”

Competitors have been working every day in preparation for districts and hope to be successful once again.

“I’ll be competing in accounting and I think our team knows each other better this year so we’re able to motivate each other more,” junior Ashley Abare said. “We practice every day and have been putting in a lot of work so I think the team will do really well.”