• First day of school is August 21

• Wingspan is on summer vacation but check back for occasional updates

Sincerely Sydney: alone doesn’t mean lonely

In her weekly column, staff reporter Sydney Gish offers her perspective on various issues.

Whenever people see someone else eating dinner or at the movies by themselves, they tend to pity them for being alone. However, many of those people are probably enjoying themselves just as much as they would if they had company. It can be rewarding, healthy even, to take time to yourself and participate in activities alone.

Many times when people find themselves on their own they tend to stay at home and binge watch Netflix rather than going out. However, new research shows that many people have just as much of a good time going out alone as they would if they would have brought a friend.

People decide not to do things all the time just because they’re alone, but not being able to go out with friends should not alter someone’s plans. A lot of people have an irrational fear that if other people see them out by themselves, they’ll think that person is a “loser,” so they end up just staying home. Which is bizarre because seeing someone out on their own shouldn’t equate them as someone who has no friends or is lonely.  

Of course it’s fun to be around other people, but there are times when we don’t have the energy to socialize and just want time for ourselves. That doesn’t mean we have to stay home rather than enjoy a new activity on our own though. It can even be beneficial, because I know that when I go out by myself I am able to see things in a new way and focus more on things I like without the distraction of socializing.

There are going to be times in our lives when we won’t always have someone by our side, and going out alone now and getting comfortable with it can help us adapt when the lonelier times of our lives creep in.

The next time you find yourself with no plans, remember that you don’t always have to stay in. Go see that new movie you’ve been wanting to see, or that restaurant that just opened up. It is perfectly acceptable to want to stay home every once in awhile, but don’t let the fear of doing things alone keep you from doing the activities that you want.

Sincerely,

Sydney