• The Red Rhythm spring show is Friday and Saturday in the auditorium. Tickets are $10.

• Wingspan wins 2017 NSPA Pacemaker

Jazz ensembles make spring debut

The school's jazz ensembles made their debut performances at Frisco Arts in the Square Saturday.

provided by Zach Anderson

Kennedy Williams, WTV Staff Reporter

Both jazz ensembles gave their debut performances at Frisco Arts in the Square Saturday. The annual festival allows professional artists and musicians from across the area to present and sell their works as well as showcase elementary, middle, and high school performing arts groups throughout Frisco ISD.

“I use that performance as a jazz community outreach,” head jazz director Zach Anderson said. “It’s a great mid-point for us as a band and a tremendous opportunity to spread our passion for music with the public.”

Playing at one of the city’s biggest art festivals of the year allowed some members of the jazz ensembles to acquire new responsibilities including senior trumpeter Aaron Stone.

“[It] taught me a lot about being flexible,” Stone said. “I had to step in and solo on several charts that I had never blown on before so that was definitely a learning experience.”

As one of the final times he will get to play in the school’s jazz band, the Frisco Arts in the Square show had special meaning to Stone.

“This performance meant a lot to me,” Stone said. “I have learned a lot in these past four years and I am forever grateful for having had the opportunity to play in this group. I’ve made great friends and great memories, and I’ll never forget this band, that’s for sure.”