A passion for endurance

Sophomore Madeline Kennedy during a transition from the swim to the bike.

Provided by Madeline Kennedy

Three sports, one girl, a one hour endurance test: a 750 meter swim, a 20 kilometer bike ride, and a five kilometer run. For sophomore Madeline Kennedy, this is what high school sports are all about. A member of the varsity swim team, Madeline also competes in triathlons outside of school, with practice up to 13 times a week.

“If you count the practices one after the other it’s [only] eight- one per day and two on Saturdays, but they are at separate times,” Madeline said. “Each separate practice is one and a half hours, but if I have one after the other it’s like three or four-ish.”

Provided by Madeline Kennedy
Now a sophomore, Madeline Kennedy has been competing in triathlons since the 8th grade.

Practicing for more than 10 hours a week, Madeline does so while maintaining a 3.8 GPA.

“It’s super hard to balance school and triathlon, especially taking all PAP/AP classes this year,” Madeline said. “With practices every day, I have to get strict with my homework and projects so that I can get it done more quickly. Procrastination really isn’t an option if I’m trying to succeed.”

Even with the challenges of being a triathlete, high school swim is no easy feat either according to close friend Abby Showalter.

“Some challenges of swimming is doing the same thing over and over again until you perfect it, and you have to have a positive outlook in order to get through practice and try your hardest,” Showalter said. “Also, swimming takes up a lot of time. I practice for two hours in the morning for high school and after school practice two hours for club.”

Madeline’s love for triathlons is a result of the sports’ changing nature.

provided by Madeline Kennedy
The 20 kilometer bike ride is the second of three stages in the triathlon with a 750 meter swim preceding it and five kilometer run following it.

“It’s not always the same, in the past I’ve played sports that you go to practice twice a week and do the same drills for the same position,” Madeline said. “But with triathlon, it’s always changing and incredibly challenging.”

Juggling three individual sports, Madeline still knows how to be part of a team.

“Having [Madeline] as a teammate is so awesome and fun,” Showalter said. “She always has a positive attitude and is ready to work hard and try 100 percent.”

Triathlons are just part of her life as Madeline is actively involved her church as a photographer and a middle school girls small group leader. Her mom, Cheryl Kennedy, has seen a huge difference in both her daughter’s empathy and love towards others as a result.

“I think Madeline’s mission trips and work at church has caused her to become more empathetic to others,” Cheryl said. “She is learning to love others where they are, she has learned how to work hard loving people and even if you don’t see a difference right away to be patient and keep investing in people. It’s made her a better teammate as she doesn’t give up and she is encouraging and motivating others.”

Kennedy emerges from the water on her way to the transition station for the bike portion of a triathlon.

Perhaps this helping of others played a role in Madeline’s decision to take on a challenging individual sport like triathlon, but these days, her love for triathlons boils down to one simple thing.  

“I love the sport because it’s so real,” Madeline said.“You have to work your butt off to get to the competitive races and everyone there has done so much. And the racing is so candid with everyone putting everything they have on the line for an hour.”