• The Red Rhythm spring show is Friday and Saturday in the auditorium. Tickets are $10.

• Wingspan wins 2017 NSPA Pacemaker

All bands shine at UIL

Bands competed at the UIL band competition throughout the week and all received the highest possible from judges.

Kennedy Williams

Kennedy Williams, WTV Staff Reporter

The three bands on campus have just finished competing at the annual UIL band competition at Centennial High School. The competition lasted for consecutive days starting Tuesday, which each of the bands performing on one of the three days. All bands earned a sweepstakes classification, which means that the bands received unanimous 1s–the highest possible rating a group can receive–for their performances.

“I think it went really well for the whole band,” trombonist and all-stater Caitlyn Hazzard said. “We always want our performances to go better but I do think that we met our expectations this year and did really well.”

The UIL band competition process consists of two parts: prepared music and sight reading. Throughout the duration of the competition, all of the bands were required to play three pieces that were previously rehearsed for the past several weeks, and afterwards learn and play through a completely new piece in the span of under thirty minutes.

“[The performance] was a good mile marker in the middle of the road to where we’re trying to go,” band director Jamie Weaver said. “We have to submit a recording for the Honor Band competition which is a recording process that involves high school bands across the entire state of Texas. It is due in the first part of June, and so we’ve got a few more opportunities to record for that.”

The next opportunity to hear all of these bands perform is May 20 at their 2nd annual Spring Swing concert and fundraiser.