• June 2 is the last day of school

• Class of 2017 graduation is June 3 at the Dr Pepper Arena at 1:30 p.m.

• Wingspan wins 2017 NSPA Pacemaker

Weatherford College: Crews’ field of dreams

Senior Garett Crews will continue his baseball career at Weatherford Junior College.

Provided by Scott McGarrh

With just two games left in the season including Tuesday’s Senior Night game at home against Frisco, senior Garett Crews is putting the finishing touches on his high school career. For more than thirteen years, baseball has served as a learning experience that goes well beyond the field of play.

It’s really taught me to not get too down on myself and stick to things and always push through,”

— senior baseball player Garett Crews

“Baseball is such a mental sport. It’s really mentally taxing,” Crews said. “If you have a bad game, you can’t get down on yourself, you got to have a short memory. So if you dwell on things, you are not going to succeed. It’s really taught me to not get too down on myself and stick to things and always push through. You just got to be confident in yourself. You just have to tell yourself that you aren’t gonna quit or backdown.”

Crews has been part of the Redhawks baseball program for several years but head coach Scott McGarrh says Crews has become more than just a potent bat in the lineup.

“One, he became a better leader,” McGarrh said. “When he was a sophomore he was a kid that we didn’t need to count on as a leader he was just a bat. He was a good kid, good player, he could catch, play a little first base for us but as he’s gotten older, he’s become a leader. He’s worked with younger kids to teach the younger kids how to become better hitters and better players.”

It’s one thing for McGarrh to say Crews is a leader, but it’s the words of his teammates that may pull the most weight as Crews connects with them on and off the field.

As he’s gotten older, he’s become a leader,”

— head baseball coach Scott McGarrh

“It’s been really fun, he’s like my best friend,” sophomore Riley Edwards said. “We spend a lot of our time together but playing with him is really fun.”

Batting .395 with six home runs and eight doubles, Crews will continue with his baseball career at Weatherford next year.

“As a parent, it’s very joyful and fulfilling that he’s enjoying himself and living his dream,” mom Marci Crews said. “We were very excited for him. It’s always been a dream of his to go on to the next level of baseball and to be offered to play. Just a great experience.”

Since 1871, 18,628 men have played in MLB and while the odds are against Crews making it, he’s just glad he gets the chance to continue playing.

“Baseball has always been there, I’ve always been playing it and it’s always something I’ve enjoyed,” Crews said. “I’m just going to keep playing as long as I can. I just have a passion for it and I’ve grown up playing it.”

1 Comment

One Response to “Weatherford College: Crews’ field of dreams”

1. Carolyne &Jerry Hesd on April 26th, 2017 2:54 pm

Garett is our grandson. We have watched him grow up playing baseball. Weatherford college is getting a fine young man as well as a great baseball player. I know great things will come for him on the field and his life to come

[Reply]

• Weatherford College: Crews’ field of dreams

My Life As: best of 2016-17 (part 1)

FISD hosts Family Science Night

All Voices Matter: depression isn’t one size fits all

Football gears up for fall with Tuesday’s spring game

Making games isn’t child’s play for Strategy Club

Rain washes out Senior Night

United Colors of Liberty – episode 32

Movies and music inspire art project

Band hosts concert and silent auction Saturday