Fishing for grades

Outdoor Education students visit a local pond to learn how to fish

Holding her fishing rod in the air, sophomore Laurel Sell stands along the bank of the pond at Turnbridge Limestone Park.

Kasey Harvey

A weekend endeavor for many people, going fishing is part of the current unit for Outdoor Education students as they head to the lake at Turnbridge Limestone Park.

Kasey Harvey
His line in the water, senior Nicholas Kutcher hopes to reel in a catch during Outdoor Education’s fishing unit.

“I think it is important because very few kids get the opportunity to go fish,” outdoor education teacher Justin Koons said. “The majority that do actually get a chance to go fish, only go once and quit because they don’t have very much success.”

While fishing licenses are not required for teens under 17 years of age, and Turnbridge Manor residents having a year-around catch-and-release fishing privilege, the students get exposure to a local and fishing hole.  

“My goal is to create success with all my students so they have fun and be able to come out and go fishing whenever they want,” Koons said.

With dozens of local lakes and ponds within a short drive of campus, Koons is trying to give his students the chance to be successful wherever they fish.

Checking her line, Zyan Flannigan stands on the banks of the pond during a recent Outdoor Education class.

“One of the things I really learn  from fishing in Outdoor Education is just like, you learn where the really good spots are and all the locations,” senior Jake Zonis said.

Students in the class are enjoying their experiences with fishing during the school day and treat the unique opportunity as a chance to develop a hobby during their own free time.

“It is something I’ve never really done before so I feel like this is an interesting first thing to experience especially in school,” sophomore John Carroll said. “It’s important to try everything that you can while you’re in school. Fishing and stuff that is outdoors in general is important to try because a lot of us don’t get the chance to do something like that.”