• June 2 is the last day of school

• Class of 2017 graduation is June 3 at the Dr Pepper Arena at 1:30 p.m.

• Wingspan wins 2017 NSPA Pacemaker

Say it Louder: smart move to warn parents

Opinion editor Emma Crampton shares her thoughts on various topics in her weekly column.

Frisco ISD sent a letter to parents last week regarding the popular Netflix series (based on the book) 13 Reasons Why. The show is about a girl in high school battling the daily life of being bullied which ultimately leads to her suicide.  With many teenagers intrigued by the show or having already watched the show, it’s understandable as to why the district would like to send this type of letter or email out cautioning parents about the subject matter in the show.

It was a smart move to do this because some parents may be unaware of what their child is watching. People with mental illnesses such as depression, anxiety, and others that may lead to suicidal thoughts could become triggered by the things that occur in this show. There is one scene in particular, in fact, where main character Hannah Baker slits her own wrists. This would make practically anyone upset, but the sight of a suicide in action may not be what someone with a mental illness needs to be watching.

By sending this letter out, the district is warning parents of what their child might be watching and encourages parents to have a conversation with their child about issues featured in the show. At some point in a child’s life it may become necessary to address suicidal thoughts and parents can use as many resources as possible in this situation.  

If parents initiate a conversation with their child regarding 13 Reason Why, perhaps children will know they can reach out and talk to their parents. One aspect of the show that stood out to was that Hannah never confided in her parents. The closer relationship that a parent maintains with their child growing up, the more likely they’ll feel as if they can open up to them.

If you haven’t yet watched 13 Reasons Why, watch it only if you know that you can emotionally handle the mature content and the strong emotions that are tied to it. Even for the most mature adults the show can be hard to watch and before thinking about checking it out, know your limits on what you can handle and what you can’t.