Eight to State

Senior Daniel Lescay (3rd from left) along with seven other athletes will be making their way to UT Austin for the state meet.

Hallie Hunter

Keegan Williams, Sports Editor

Eight athletes, six qualified and two alternates, will be making their way to the University of Texas at Austin to compete in the state track meet at Mike A. Myers stadium.

Among the athletes from the school, junior Carrie Fish will be competing in the 1600 and 3200 meter run, as well as sophomore Nissi Kabongo qualifying for the 800 meter run and high jump.

“It’s great because last year I missed it by point something seconds and because I was third so it was a wild card spot so it feels great to have a secure spot this year,” Fish said.

Although it’s a new race for Fish, it’s the same competition that she’s used to.

“The same people that I’m facing are the same one I ran against in track,” Fish said. “My hardest competition will probably be the girl that beat me in regionals but I’m working to beat her and stay in the top three during the race.”

Brothers Isaiah and Christian Palmer will also be competing in two events; Christian in the 300 meter hurdles and Isaiah in the 400 meter run, and both of them in the 4×400 meter relay along with Daniel Lescay and Josh Holden.

“We’ve been looking forward to it all year,” junior Christian Palmer said. “We were pretty confident that we were going to make it to state but now that it’s actually happen it’s kind of surreal but were just excited to run.”

The two weeks between the regional meet and the state meet will be utilized in every way to prepare them for the big day.

“I don’t think we’ve ever ran even close to what we could run,” Palmer said. “So I think we definitely have potential.”

With three of the four members of the 4×400 team being seniors, the boys have been working together for this for most of high school.

“We’ve been working for the past three years to get here and it’s finally here,” Lescay said. “What I’m most excited for id that we actually have a chance to win it and we’re going to leave it all on the track.”