• June 2 is the last day of school

• Class of 2017 graduation is June 3 at the Dr Pepper Arena at 1:30 p.m.

• Wingspan wins 2017 NSPA Pacemaker

Four guys, 1600 meters, one goal

Ranked as one of the top 4x400 relays in the state, three seniors and one junior take aim at a state title

The boys' varsity 4x400 meter relay featuring Daniel Lescay, Christian Palmer, Isaiah Palmer and Josh Holden will be going  for a state championship this weekend in Austin.

Christian Palmer

The boys' varsity 4x400 meter relay featuring Daniel Lescay, Christian Palmer, Isaiah Palmer and Josh Holden will be going for a state championship this weekend in Austin.

Perhaps the four fastest guys on campus, the varsity 4×400 relay team is hoping to come back next week as four of the fastest guys in the state.

I don’t think we’ve ever ran even close to what we could run,”

— junior Christian Palmer

“We’ve been looking forward to it all year,” junior Christian Palmer said. “We were pretty confident that we were going to make it to state but now that it’s actually happen it’s kind of surreal but we’re just excited to run.”

The relay team, along with Carrie Fish and Nissi Kabongo, will compete in the UIL State Track Meet at the University of Texas at Austin Thursday-Saturday.

“I don’t think we’ve ever ran even close to what we could run,” Palmer said. “So I think we definitely have potential.”

After placing 2nd at regionals, and being the 6th seed going into the meet, the team is ready to see what boundaries it can break.

“We’ve been working for the past three years to get here and it’s finally here,” senior Daniel Lescay said. “What I’m most excited for it because we actually have a chance to win it and we’re going to leave it all on the track.”

Having a two week cooling off period between regionals and state, the four athletes are ready to get back on the track.

But week by week we’ve been cutting down to get ready for this moment,”

— senior Isaiah Palmer

“We’ve been doing a lot of endurance running,” senior Isaiah Palmer said. “But week by week we’ve been cutting down to get ready for this moment and I think going in we’ll be in the best shape we’ve been in so far.”

Competing against Manville and Lancaster, two of the fastest teams in the nation, the boys know what it will take to be even faster.

“We need to be ready mentally, not just physically,” senior Josh Holden said. “So we can believe that we can beat them and go out there and do it.”