Bollywood inspires freshman dancer

Janet Nguyen, Guest Contributor

For many students, the inspiration to dance can come from many places. For freshman Diya Deepak, Bollywood is a source of her desire to dance. To find out more about this, Wingspan’s Janet Nguyen caught up with Deepak.

Wingspan: How long have you been dancing?

Deepak: “I have been dancing since I was 2 and a half.”

Wingspan: Why did you start dancing?

Deepak: “Growing up in the Indian community, Bollywood is a big deal and there were always dances and as a baby I used to dance to it and it was like love at first sight.”

Wingspan: Has anyone inspired you to dance?

Deepak: “Nobody really inspired me, it kinda sparked on its own.”

Wingspan: What kind of dances do you like and dislike?

Deepak: “I love Bollywood and I have taken an interest in hip hop after getting into K-Pop.”

Wingspan: What’s your routine for practicing dance?

Deepak: “Well I usually first learnt the step, first time through perfect, no perfecting it after learning it and practice 10 times or more with water breaks to build my stamina even more.”

Wingspan: What do you love most about dancing?

Deepak: “What I love most about dancing, well I love everything about it but if I had to pick a specific thing, it would be how the body becomes flexible and moves on its own when the music is played. It’s like a fun way to keep yourself fit.”

Wingspan: What do you do if you’re encountered with a difficult dance routine?

Deepak: “I kind of listen to the music over and over again to see what beats I’m missing and imagine it and break it up slowly. Like learn 1/3 a day and make it perfect efficiently.”

Wingspan: Where do you like to dance?

Deepak: “Well I perform for Indian programs which are a big deal in our community so yeah.”

Wingspans: How often do you dance?

Deepak: “Every week at least 5 times, usually daily, but being new to an AP course scares me, so I leave a lot of time to study for that.”

Wingspan: Was there ever a time you wanted to stop dancing?

Deepak: “There was one time I wanted to stop and it was because I was a cry baby and thought I did bad.”

Wingspan: Who keeps you motivated to dance?

Deepak: “I keep myself motivated to dance and others have told me to keep doing it.”

Wingspan: Are you planning to continue dance in the future?

Deepak: “No doubt about it! Yes of course, and my life will revolve all around dance.”

Wingspan: Have you ever compared yourself to other dancers be?

Deepak: “Yes when they perform the same song and yes this may seem like I think too highly of myself but they are forced to dance by their parents and dance with no passion.”

Wingspan: Are you planning to try out for any clubs or shows that involves dancing?

Deepak: “I joined the dance honor society.”

Wingspan: Why do you love dancing?

Deepak: “I love it because well I’m good at it, it’s beautiful in every form.”