Too much testing, not enough learning

Too much emphasis is being placed on testing and not enough on learning in the eyes of columnist Reilly Martens.

Reilly Martens

Reilly Martens, Staff Reporter

There’s always that one kid who stops the teacher in the middle of their lesson to ask “why do we need to know this?” or “how is this going to ever help us in life?”. This raises the question of how state curriculum works and how it is set up for success, blurring whether or not the material students are learning is applicable or relevant for life in real world.

The state curriculum is very specific on topics and facts that the state board of education deems important for classes to cover to enable students to succeed on the state exam at the end of the second semester. Advanced Placement classes differ in that they base their teaching off of College Board curriculum which prepares students for the AP test. Certain AP classes are required to take the state exam along with their AP test.

Ever heard your teacher say, “This is what the state wants me to teach you, so I’m going to teach it. But here’s what you should know…”? A few teachers have said this in class regarding their lesson plans that don’t seem to mesh with they believe students should be learning for college or life. It leaves me thinking, if the state isn’t teaching us what we need to know or even what teachers believe we should know, then why are we learning it?

For example, it is a graduation requirement that students in high school take four maths, and Algebra I, Algebra II, and Geometry; and the last math is a matter of choice. Unless you pursue a career that utilizes these specific math skills, I wonder when in the course of my life these topics will become relevant again? Much respect given to math teachers and those who have the horror of practicing this subject in their daily lives, but these sectors of math just do not seem relevant to the necessary skills of life. On the other hand, these subjects are important for required math classes in certain colleges.

On the other hand, studies have shown that the state is perhaps doing something right. High school students in this district predominantly do well in state required exams. Specifically, 93 percent of students in all subjects and all grade levels met the state’s standards. Students are equipped in memorization, critical thinking skills, and etc. But through all of this scrutinization we may be missing the point.

The focus on state testing is excessively capitalized. The purpose of education is lost within the goals of simply trying to pass and get by a year of a class that was supposed to ensure you better knowledge on the subject. Instead, you remember and practice formulaic information until come May when the state exams arrive. Afterwards, many classes become interestingly easy. The pressure is off, and classwork is a breeze. Hey, we aren’t complaining though.

This is unfortunate for our students and future leaders. Ideas are discouraged in classes like English because it doesn’t align with what “the actual answer” is. Whatever happened to your own interpretation?

Ultimately, in order to achieve the best learning environment possible it is important to be able to fully discuss issues like the education system. Keep in mind that no system is perfect and will most likely never be, but critical advancements are never reached without the willingness to try new things and being open to new ideas, especially within the classroom.