District needs to be done with rezoning

As+enrollment+continues+to+increase+in+Frisco+ISD%2C+the+district+is+looking+to+make+some+zoning+changes+to+accommodate+high+school+number+12%2C+Panther+Creek.+

Maddie Owens

As enrollment continues to increase in Frisco ISD, the district is looking to make some zoning changes to accommodate high school number 12, Panther Creek.

The high school siblings walk out of the house. One, a freshman. The other reigns as a senior. Hugs are shared as they turn their separate ways to go to different schools. Same family but rival zones.

Here we go again. Another school year. Yet another high school, one more middle school, and two more elementary schools for the district to deal with. This changing in the number of schools has made going to three schools a thing of the past. The only thing left to blame for this annoyance is rezoning.

Rezoning has become a large problem within Frisco ISD and needs to be dealt with immediately.

Many may disagree since they “haven’t really seen the effects”, but let’s look at the facts. In the next three years alone, Frisco ISD’s attendance is expected to soar in every high school with Lone Star High School expected to gain over a thousand students alone. While this is the case for almost every high school, one school in particular begins to fall short of the amount of students that it currently contains: Liberty High School. Expected to lose nearly four hundred students in just three years will take the school from close to capacity to underpopulated.

Why does this happen you may ask? Schools such as Lebanon Trail and Independence High School are taking away much students from the Liberty zone. Soon, two more high schools will dig into even more into the future of this school. Still, one question that has been ignored, remains. What is the school board going to do when the number of students here reaches approximately 1500 in 2020? Another year of rezoning and possibly another high school to be built? Sadly, that may be the only thing left to do.  

This all feeds into the idea of Frisco’s “small school policy” which allows the teachers to “know every student by name and need”. How is getting to know a student for one year then shipping them off to another school “knowing them”? There aren’t many options to come by, but splitting up families will not solve anything and will only destroy the very foundation that this school district lays upon. Instead of every year rezoning and splitting of schools, there should be some sort of “grandfather” system for the district to use and stop the destruction of families.

With many Frisco ISD schools approaching maximum capacity, building new schools and rezoning has been the only option for board members to overcome this challenge. The dilemma is that the short-term “solutions” only set the problems back for years to come. How can the school board claim to look at the name and needs of the students when they are ignoring the names and needs. Rezoning within Frisco has become something that has torn this city apart and needs to be fixed now.