Palmer brothers fuel 4×400 success

The Palmer brothers (L- Christian, R- Isiah) are two of the four members of the schools 4x400 relay team that is hoping to advance to the Regional meet.

The Palmer brothers (L- Christian, R- Isiah) are two of the four members of the school’s 4×400 relay team that is hoping to advance to the Regional meet.

Arman Kafai, Lead Sports Reporter

Two brothers will look to push the 4×400 relay team to the regional rounds for the second straight year Friday at the area track meet in Wylie after dominating the district rounds in Little Elm April 12-13.

Junior Isaiah Palmer and sophomore Christian Palmer are two of the four members on the relay team. Isaiah has been on the team for three years, while Christian has been there for two. The boys, along with juniors Josh Holden and Daniel Lescay, won the 4×400 by more than six seconds at the District 9-5A meet.

But instead of a sibling rivalry, the Palmer brothers enjoy running with each other, as it helps them push themselves and perform to the best of their abilities.

“If anything, running with my brother helps us compete with each other,” Christian said. “It strengthens our bond as brothers and as teammates.”

For older brother Isaiah, there are plenty of pros to overcome the cons when he’s running with his brother.

“The cons are that sometimes we can be messing around, and you have to switch it to being more serious,” Isaiah said. “But definitely, the pros outweigh the cons.”

Running with a brother relieves pressure for the two as they compete in high stake events as the year progresses.

“It takes a bit of the pressure away,” Isaiah said. “So it’s like, when I’m nervous, we’re both in this together.”

Teammates agree that the brothers running together actually gives the team an advantage.

“During practice, we push each other to run harder,” Lescay said. “It makes us better over the year.”

The siblings are best friends on and off the track, with that being another benefit to the team, as they look for a potential run to state.

“They’re always with each other,” Holden said. “They’re always pushing each other. They always want to be better than each other. So they push through, to be the best.”