District growth continues as school starts new year

Home to less than 2,000 students in 1993, the district is projected to have between 71,000 and 86,000 when the city is fully built out.

For the third straight year, Frisco Independent School District opens its third new high school Monday as Lebanon Trail High School welcomes a freshman class. With an average of 3,000 students added each year to the district, FISD has drastically changed from the 1,933 student school district it was in 1993.

Pullquote Photo

New families consistently tell us they chose to live in Frisco ISD due to the quality of our school district

— Superintendent Dr. Jeremy Lyon

“Frisco ISD has grown at a phenomenal rate for the last 25 years,” FISD Superintendent Dr Jeremy Lyon said via email. “On a percentage basis, no school district in the country grew faster than FISD from 1990 to 2011. Today, the district serves more than 54,000 students in 68 schools.”

This increase in enrollment is a result of growth within the city itself as families move to Frisco from all over the state, country, and world for housing and economic opportunities with the schooling system one of the most favorable characteristics of the community.

“New families consistently tell us they chose to live in Frisco ISD due to the quality of our school district,” Lyon said. “Our continued fast growth is both a significant challenge and opportunity as we look to the future and work to build on our past success.”

FISD strives to continue it’s success by setting itself apart from other districts, in more ways than just size.

Does the growth of the Frisco ISD surprise you?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

“Frisco ISD has an outstanding reputation for academic excellence, innovative programs and extracurricular opportunities and experiences,” Lyon said. “The district is committed to a small-schools philosophy, meaning our schools are built to serve 2,100 students in grades 9-12, 1,000 students in 6-8 and 760 in K-5. This provides more opportunities for our students to participate in activities and for our students to know each other and their teachers.”

FISD looks forward to future success and doesn’t plan to stop growing, expecting enrollment to reach 71,499 students by 2021.

“Growth in Frisco ISD shows no immediate signs of slowing down,” Lyon said. “The district is currently 75 percent built out, which means 25 percent of the land in the district is still available for future development. If factors remain constant, outside demographers project enrollment at build out will be between 71,000 and 86,000 students, the latter number being dependent on the development scenario of the land held by these landowners.”