Say it Louder: appreciate school’s stance on dress code

Opinion editor Emma Crampton shares her thoughts on various topics in her weekly column.

As the beginning of the year continues, the dress code tends to be more enforced by school officials than perhaps the middle of the year. However, unlike other schools, Principal Scott Warstler and his front office staff are pretty lenient with what students wear. In my opinion, that is a positive addition to the school.

My middle school, for example had a ridiculously strict dress code. If someone were to wear leggings, their “shirt” had to be fingertip length. Who owns a fingertip length t-shirt? You may as well have worn a dress. Once, my friend even got dress coded because “her jeans were too tight.”

I understand how some schools say that they have strict dress code to prepare students for future professional things such as job interviews. But they also have to understand that we are in high school. Most of us have our plates totally full with homework, sports, extra curricular activities, etc. The reality is, the majority of high school students don’t really have any more time to worry about dressing professionally for class.

Additionally, due to all of our activities, a lot of us don’t get much sleep every night. Personally, a typical school night for me is getting about three to four hours of sleep and overdosing on caffeine the next morning. I honestly don’t have the time or energy to dress as if I was attending a professional event.

This is why I appreciate the dress code on campus. Of course there are certain rules in order to keep our school from being inappropriate or chaotic, but the rules are not unrealistic or too expectant of the students.