Goodbye RHTV, hello Wingspan

Henry Youtt, Managing Editor

More likely than not, this is one of your first times ever visiting the Wingspan site. That’s not surprising. Since the high school opened in 2006, print journalism has been largely overshadowed by the weekly broadcast outlet, RHTV. However, with the electronic age  moving media to the online realm, more and more people are going online for their news.

Thus, in a token if-you-can’t-beat-them-join-them move, the print staff and the broadcast team have come together this year in a collaborative effort to streamline school news by presenting a bold, new interface of multimedia we call Wingspan.

What would you like to see from the all new Wingspan?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

But before you let out all your tears in mourning of RHTV, take a quick look around the site.  If you visit our homepage, you will see an array of tabs that will navigate you through the various pages of our site. On each page, links are provided to related articles that we believe will match your interests, issue recent reports, and supply crucial information for you to stay up-to-date on all things school and community related.

Each day, our reporters, photojournalists and broadcast journalists will stream news stories, sports highlights, features on campus life, and much more to distribute daily updates and other announcements. Additionally, our staff is happy to announce that we will now publish opinion articles and arts and entertainment columns to expand our range of content.

So, why Wingspan? Instead of weekly broadcasts, we are determined to provide news as it comes, naturally and authentically. The news won’t take days off and neither will we. If a volleyball game is on a Wednesday night, we will sit down with Coach Womble that day and show you her expectations and apprehension going into the game (as we already have).

We brought you a Daily Update the first day of school and we will continue to bring an update each school day until the end of the year. Feel free to let us know what you think of the site by leaving a comment below or vote in the poll embedded in this column. Whether critical or complimentary, the staff appreciates constructive input, for we are determined to provide daily material that not only covers content in a quality manner but also presents it in a way that is the most informative, entertaining, and engaging to students, to their families and to the surrounding community. We look forward to a fantastic year.