Opinion: take care of yourself, take a break

Although procrastination tends to be a prominent feature of the life of a student, guest columnist Cole Engelbrecht writes that it should be prevented as much as possible.

Maddie McCord

Emma Marom, Guest Contributor

Something you should never do is build up stress. It usually ends with a massive meltdown and it can be really hard to pick yourself back up. But when you’re a student, you learn that, school is stressful.

Quizzes, essays, flashcards, homework, I go through it everyday. And balancing schoolwork, social life and free time can be exhausting. Piles of work cause massive amounts of stress and anxiety. And sometimes, a day off is really needed.

A day off of school can take so much stress off of your shoulders. It can also give you more time to get things done that you have been stressing about. That’s why mental health days are needed and very important.

When I was in eighth grade, I took a lot of “sick” days. And from personal experience, taking a day to yourself and getting your work done without having to stress is the greatest thing you can do for yourself.

You can definitely argue that some people can abuse mental health days, but you can definitely recognize when that happens. And when someone does get caught abusing, there can be consequences, for example, detention. But whether it’s a mental health day or something else, the next time you feel like you’re about to meltdown, don’t be afraid to let yourself breathe. Take care of yourself and take a break.

Disclaimer: If you are worried that you or someone around you may have a serious mental illness, do not hesitate to tell someone. May it be your parent, your doctor or anyone you know.