Marching band competes Saturday afternoon

Drumline stands at the front sideline of the turf field during rehearsal for Saturdays Bands of America competition in Plano.

Kennedy Williams

Drumline stands at the front sideline of the turf field during rehearsal for Saturday’s Bands of America competition in Plano.

Kennedy Williams, WTV Staff Reporter

The band will be performing at the Bands Of America Marching Qualifier at Clark Stadium Saturday afternoon at 4 p.m. in Plano. Students and directors alike are trying to perfect their show, and Saturday’s competition will be an opportunity to evaluate their progress in a competitive setting.

“We have not done any more preparation for BOA than we would any other performance at a football game or any other contest,” band director Jamie Weaver said. “It’s just a natural progression of moving throughout the season and getting ready for the next thing that’s on the calendar.”

The band practiced Friday during the student holiday, making final tweaks to their music and formations. Senior euphonium player and section leader Nick Vancura feels confident about his preparation for today’s contest.

Student leadership team and directors discuss final details before Saturday's competition.
Kennedy Williams
Student leadership team and directors discuss final details before Saturday’s competition.

“I’ve rehearsed very well myself,” Vancura said. “I think that, by leading by example, I can influence my section and others around me to do the same and that would help the band grow stronger as a program in time for BOA.”

Numerous practices and performances in football games, the FISD Marching Band Showcase and competitions has created a positive energy amongst the group.

“I’m actually feeling pretty good about [our performance]. It’s not necessarily just a contest with us performing against other groups and other things,” Weaver said. “I’d rather compete against ourselves from last year and last week, just to see if we can improve upon things. I think that we are stronger now musically and stronger now with overall effect based on how the band is performing and based on our design, and I think the chances of us improving upon what we did last year and this past week are way better.”

Tickets are $18 for preliminary performances and $18 for finals performances. A full day package is $27.