District recommends delayed opening of new schools

Frisco ISD school board members and leaders discussed the future of the district at a special board meeting Thursday night and recommended a delay in the opening of four new schools and to freeze salaries for one year in order to balance its budget for upcoming school years. The Board of Trustees is expected to vote on whether or not to open the four new schools at Monday’s school board meeting from 7:30-10 p.m. at the Frisco ISD Administration Board Room.

Schools will still be needed and utilized in the future due to FISD’s fast growth,

— FISD Superintendent Dr. Jeremy Lyon

“Is this desirable? No,” FISD Superintendent Dr. Jeremy Lyon said in an FISD news brief posted online. “But we have looked at a number of ways to save large amounts of money that do not directly or negatively impact our student programs and opportunities. This presents us that option.”

Liscano and Talley Elementary Schools, Lawler Middle School and Memorial High School were originally scheduled to open in August 2017, but the district could potentially save over $15.6 million by delaying the opening of these schools.

Construction of all four schools will continue on schedule, but if the Board of Trustees approves of the delayed openings, the schools will be vacant for one school year once construction is completed with minimal costs to provide security, pay for utilities, and extend warranties in order to maintain the schools.

During Thursday’s board meeting Lyon said that delayed openings are a “one and done” savings situation, in that a one-year opening delay present a one-time savings and that the campuses must open the following year.

We’re doing everything we can to protect the classroom, to protect our staff,

— FISD board president Anne McCausland

“Schools will still be needed and utilized in the future due to FISD’s fast growth,” Lyon said in the brief posted online. “Staff will still be needed to meet the needs of students when schools open.”

However, saving money could come with a cost. Some schools in the fastest growing district in Texas would exceed their optimal capacity due to the delayed openings. The district hopes to address this through capping enrollments and possible changes to current zones with FISD leaders having no desire to affect students and their school experience when it comes to saving money.

“We’re doing everything we can to protect the classroom, to protect our staff,” FISD board president Anne McCausland said. “We’re trying to minimize the impact of that but obviously there’s going to be some impacts.”