Mock election gets it wrong

JWAC mock presidential election results were in line with most pre-election polls as Clinton received 398 votes (right stack) to Trumps 290 (left stack).  Clinton received more votes in Tuesdays election, but lost the contest as Trump outperformed her in the Electoral College.

JWAC mock presidential election results were in line with most pre-election polls as Clinton received 398 votes (right stack) to Trump’s 290 (left stack). Clinton received more votes in Tuesday’s election, but lost the contest as Trump outperformed her in the Electoral College.

Brooke Colombo, News Editor

In what is being called a historic upset by news outlets across the country, Republican Donald Trump is the president-elect after receiving the necessary electoral votes to win. However, most predictions of Tuesday’s presidential election forecasted a win by Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton, with the school’s mock election, conducted by JWAC no exception as 51.9 percent of more than 700 student voters choosing Clinton.

Regardless of who students voted for, JWAC sponsor Tim Johannes said that the mock election provided a sense of citizenship to students by allowing them to participate in voting.

“I think it gives them sense of responsibility,” Johannes said. “At school we try to teach people how to prepare for after high school and this is one thing that is kind of their duty as an American is to go vote and hopefully this says at least we tried to make it as similar as possible as the real thing and it’s pretty real and hopefully it will help them prepare for the real world.”

Students like Junior Kendall Pulaski thought the school’s mock election would have aligned with the electoral college if more students had participated in voting.

“Most people, if they wanted her to win, are gonna try and have a say in it,” Pulaski said. “I think [students] who wanted him to win didn’t vote during the mock election.”

For Clinton supporters, it would have been a different story if the president was elected by popular vote as she received nearly 200,000 more votes.

“I think if the Electoral College didn’t exist it would’ve been way more similar,” junior Fernando Garcia said. “I think our generation tends to lean more towards her because they don’t like what Trump stands for and the reputation he has and I think that’s what resonates with people more. If we were old enough to actually vote I think Hillary would’ve had an advantage and she still could’ve won.”