Cross country finishes in top three

After winning the District 13-5A meet and finishing second at the regional meet, the girls cross country team finished in 3rd place at the state meet.

@gaby_lm5

After winning the District 13-5A meet and finishing second at the regional meet, the girls’ cross country team finished in 3rd place at the state meet.

Keegan Williams, Sports Editor

The girls varsity cross country team, along with boys Josh Akin and Nick Wynne, competed in the state cross country meet on Saturday in round Round Rock.

“It was pure excitement,” head coach Amanda Byers said. “Definitely they’ve worked hard all year, they’re a group of kids who everyday they come out and work hard”

The runners competed in the division 5A race, and the girls ended up with a third place win as a team. Individually, junior Carrie Fish placed 7, senior Yuliana Lorenso placed 27, and freshman Amelia Jauregui placed 39.

“It’s just crazy of how far our team as come this year,” Fish said. “From not making it as a team last year to becoming one of the top three teams in the state is crazy.”

Along with the athletes being excited about their accomplishment, coach Amanda Byers was also proud.

“It’s amazing,” Byers said said. “I was so excited and proud and happy for them because I knew this was something they wanted an a goal for them to be able to achieve that and stand up there on the medal stand was awesome.”

For freshman Amelia Jauregui, the experience was different, seeing as though it was her first year on the team, with three more seasons ahead.

“It was really exciting to be able to do that as a team and to do it so early on,” Jauregui said. “It’s a really cool experience to say our team got to state and I’m a freshman and I’m helping the team out.”

Because the boys team as a whole did not make it to state, seniors Akin and Wynne ran individually, finishing 30 and 41 respectively.

“It was a great accomplishment,” Akin said. “It just shows that these last couple years, the hard work has really paid off, and being able to compete for my school gives me the satisfaction knowing that all that hard work really takes you somewhere.”

The team hopes to continue it’s hard work, and use the offseason as preparation for the future.

“I’m really excited to see what next year brings,” Jauregui said. “And I’m really excited to just continue to be a part of the team.”