Basketball takes third in Tip-off

A key component of the Region II Championship team her freshman year, Thompson (#23) played heavy minutes in the Redhawks 2016 playoff run. Two years later, Thompson is having her minutes limited as she works her way back from two consecutive knee injuries.

Sarah Philps

Keegan Williams, Sports Editor

The girls basketball team competed in the FISD Tip-off Classic tournament on Friday and Saturday to open up the season.

“We had a lot of communication,” senior Jordan Hamilton said. “We were able to talk to each other and our chemistry was shown and that really overpowered and we were able to work hard against the harder teams.”

The team was able to watch, and play against, many of the teams that they will face in district play, and in playoffs.

“I think it represents how we’re going to play throughout the season because the one team we lost to in that tournament was the state champions for 6A last year,” junior Katelyn Burtch said. “So it’s just showing that we can compete with the best and we’re going to compete with the best.”

Although they played schools in higher divisions, like 6A Plano, the team was able to hold it’s ground and take the win.

“It helps us in the sense that we get more competition against high quality teams,” head basketball coach Ros Reedy said.” “Sometimes people get to the playoffs and it’s the first time their seeing someone that’s played at a really really high level and so for u to b able to play teams like Plano, Mckinney North, Duncanville, even though some are 6A team, for us to see those opponents when it comes down to big games in district play, we’ve had experience to be in those moments.”

The tournament also opened up their eyes to potential holes in their game, and allow them to recognize what needs to be fixed before it counts.

“It showed that we had a lot of things to work on,” Hamilton said. “Even though we did finish at a pretty good place in the tournament, we did find lot of our weaknesses, and we had some teams exploit that, and make sure that when we go into thise next games that those things are stronger than they did before.”