Finding the right rhythm

Two students make All-State Jazz Ensemble

The 2015 All-Region Jazz Ensemble listens in at a rehearsal. This year junior Nathan Brooks and senior Aaron Stone took things a step further by being accepted into the All-State Jazz Ensemble II, one of the highest in-school achievements for a high school musician and will perform at the annual TMEA Convention in San Antonio in February.

Jazz Ensembles were announced Wednesday with four students making it on Jazz Ensemble 1 and four selected to Jazz Ensemble 2.

provided by Kennedy Williams

The 2015 All-Region Jazz Ensemble listens in at a rehearsal. This year junior Nathan Brooks and senior Aaron Stone took things a step further by being accepted into the All-State Jazz Ensemble II, one of the highest in-school achievements for a high school musician and will perform at the annual TMEA Convention in San Antonio in February. Jazz Ensembles were announced Wednesday with four students making it on Jazz Ensemble 1 and four selected to Jazz Ensemble 2.

Kennedy Williams, WTV Staff Reporter

Junior Nathan Brooks and senior Aaron Stone hit all the right notes heading into Thanksgiving break by being accepted into the All-State Jazz Ensemble II, one of the highest in-school achievements for a high school musician and will perform at the annual TMEA Convention in San Antonio in February.

“When I heard the news I was beyond excited,” Brooks said. “I could hardly contain myself.”

Many of the students auditioning for one of two of these all-state jazz ensembles have been practicing their music since it was released last May. One was required to advance past the all-region, pre-area, and area rounds before being considered for a spot in an all-state ensemble.

“I’ve put in hundreds and hundreds of hours of improv, long tones, transcribing, listening, etude practice, and other things over the past few months and years to reach this milestone,” Brooks said. “I’m glad it more than paid off.”