Opinion: be grateful for what you have

Rather than simply enjoy the   latest gifts and gadgets received this time of year, guest columnist Lucas Barr writes that students should be grateful for what they have.

Wade Glover

Rather than simply enjoy the latest gifts and gadgets received this time of year, guest columnist Lucas Barr writes that students should be grateful for what they have.

Lucas Barr, Guest Contributor

With winter break starting soon, students will have two weeks to relax and celebrate the holidays. Whether it’s from deals scored on Black Friday or gifts received on Christmas, many students spend time during this part of the year enjoying new technology, playing with presents, and adoring their new gifts. This time of year is the season for being thankful and spending time with families, but people sometimes get sidetracked from what the season is really about.

Some students in the area live privileged lives. Students get an education at one of the best high schools in North Texas and many students get to have the clothes they want and any technology want. However, many students on campus take for granted all the things in life that we have not had to work for, yours truly included.

Thanksgiving is over but that does not mean it is time to stop being thankful. The purpose of Thanksgiving is great, but being thankful should not just happen on one day in November. Even this one day a year does not have its full effect.

In recent years, major retailers have capitalized on making enormous profits on Thanksgiving with their Black Friday deals beginning on Thursday. Having dinner with loved ones only to leave early to buy tons of devices, technology and new clothes is an absolutely terrible way to celebrate being thankful.

The holiday season should be spent expressing gratitude for great education, loving families, and other privileges. It shouldn’t be spent expressing gratitude only for the newest gaming console, state-of-art cell phone, or all of the newest clothes.

Next time before you open a present I encourage everybody to take a second to be grateful for what you already have. Take a second to thank your parents for the work they have put in so that you could live a privileged life with a good education. Don’t forget, one of the most important elements of the season is to be appreciative. Enjoy your gifts, but remember to be thankful for what you have and how you got it.