Mother nature puts the deep freeze on Dr. Pink

Soccer coaches held tryouts this Thursday.

Keegan Williams

Keegan Williams, Sports Editor

Below freezing temperatures and the potential for light snow flurries led to the cancellation of all outside Dr. Pink soccer tournament games scheduled for Friday. However, it was a different story Thursday night as players, coaches and fans did whatever they could to ward off the below freezing temperatures at the Toyota Soccer Center north of Toyota Stadium.

“I get really distracted because I’m worried about trying to warm up my hands,” senior Kaci Parks said. “It hurts so bad when you get hit with the ball and you start bleeding because the cold cracks your skin and makes you bleed.”

Taking on Hebron High School with most girls wearing only a long sleeved shirt under their jerseys and ear warmers on their heads, the girls lost 2-1 in a cold, yet closely contested game.

“We had shots and if they would’ve gone in we would’ve won,” senior Emily Starrett said. “I think we played fine but we just haven’t connected as a team yet.”

While on the field, players did whatever necessary to stay warm, whether that meant doing jumping jacks between plays, or running in place to keep their bodies moving.

After enduring temperatures in the 20s Thursday evening, most of the girls understand the need for cancelling Friday’s games.

“I want to play the game but not in this weather,” Starrett said. “It would’ve been fun and helped our confidence but it’s not worth it.”