All-State students back from San Antonio

All-Staters rehearsed Wednesday night upon arriving in San Antonio and all day Thursday and Friday in preparation for each group’s respective performance on Saturday at the annual Texas Music Educators Association convention.

Kennedy Williams, WTV Staff Reporter

Several band and orchestra students as well as their directors took the trip to San Antonio Wednesday through Saturday to enjoy the Texas Music Educator’s Association at the Harry B. Gonzales Convention Center.

“The convention rehearsals lasted about nine hours a day,” senior violinist Grace Leung said. “Everyone is more professional and cares a lot more about the music, and everything is much more intense than all-region or school orchestra.”

While students rehearsed their music throughout the majority of their trip, band and orchestra directors spent their time at the convention differently with band director Jamie Weaver being inducted into a special group at the convention.

“Phi Beta Mu is a an honorary international band fraternity that’s been around for quite some time. [A recipient] has to teach a group for ten years,” Weaver said. “Being in a group of people of such a high caliber is an enormous honor.”

Although the All-Staters underwent rigorous rehearsals in preparation for Saturday, they believe that the experience made the work all worthwhile.

“I loved All-State,” Leung said. “Every year [at the convention] I’m able to take away a new musical experience I would’ve never imagined in any other setting. It’s a really unforgettable moment.”