• Color Guard continue through Thursday

Shot at state on the line for 14 wrestlers

Taking part in the preliminary rounds of the 5A-Region II wrestling meet at Wakeland High School, the girls' team brings it in for a quick cheer.

Wade Glover

Wade Glover, Staff Reporter

14 of the school’s varsity wrestling team are competing in the 5A-Region II wrestling tournament Friday and Saturday at Wakeland High School with the chance to make the state meet Feb. 24-25 on the line.

“It is an honor to have kids that are good enough wrestlers to be at a regional meet because we have one of the toughest districts in the state, it’s quite a compliment to be at regionals,” head coach Cody Bridwell said. “The regional meet, in some ways, is tougher than state.”

Four wrestlers from each weight division will advance to the state meet and for the boys and girls competing, the regional tournament is a make it or break it meet.

“It feels pretty good knowing this meet can punch your ticket to state,” senior Tyler Hogg said. “It’s exciting knowing that this meet can also determine your seed and how you will do at the tournament.”

For a few wrestlers, the regional tournament is a chance at redemption.

“It feels really good, last year my season got cut short from an injury,” sophomore Chrystal Raine said. “I’m just really proud of myself for making it this far. It feels good, it feels like you are preparing yourself for state by wrestling other schools you don’t see during the normal season.”

“I did not go to state last year, I made it to regionals and then I ended up tearing the ligament in my left shoulder,” Hogg said. “I am really glad to be back this year because I have something to prove this year, that I could’ve done it last year.”

Wade Glover, WTV Daily Update Producer
Wade Glover is a junior. He is the grade level president of Young Men’s Service League and proudly volunteers with Frisco Family Services, BedStart, and Friday Nite Friends. He is also an active member of Custer Road United Methodist Church and the youth programs there. Wade’s hobbies are golfing, wakeboarding, hanging out with friends, and...