Basketball teams prosper in the playoffs

courtesy of Ben Turner

Keegan Williams, Sports Editor

In a rare playoff doubleheader, both girls’ and boys’ basketball teams traveled to the Curtis Culwell Center in Garland on Tuesday to play Prosper in the playoffs.

For the girls, it was the third round of the playoffs, with the team needing to win four more games to make it back to the state championship.

The Redhawks jumped out to a five point lead before the Eagles tied it up at 26 heading into halftime.

From there, things remained tight as the Redhawks took a two point lead at the end of the third before padding that margin by one giving the team a 49-46 win.

Seniors Rebecca Lescay and Ajine Taylor led the offense with 13 points each and Jordan Hamilton finished with nine.

The girls will play Mansfield Legacy on Friday at 6:00 p.m. at the Curtis Culwell Center in the regional tournament.

Immediately after the girls’ team secured its win, the boys’ team took to the Curtis Culwell Center floor to also face off against Prosper.

And just like the girl’s game, this one went back and forth with the Redhawks taking a 25-24 lead at the half.

During the third quarter the game changed speed, with the Eagles making a run to take the lead, only to have senior Nathan Autrey sink a three pointer to allow the Redhawks to finish the quarter up 40-39.

The final eight minutes went back and forth setting the stage for dramatic finish. Tied at 49 with 1.8 seconds left, the Redhawks inbounded the ball from the baseline, with senior Nick Wynne ending up with it.

Wynne’s attempt was short, but sophomore Zion Richardson was there for the rebound and put-back as the buzzer sounded.

While the team celebrated, the referees huddled for a quick review where they decided to count the basket giving the Redhawks the 51-49 win and setting up a second round game against Highland Park Friday at 8:00 p.m. at Coppell High School.